LEVEL 2: Grammar
This course is designed for beginners needing a thorough review of basic grammar, functions, and vocabulary. The materials provide a solid foundation in the language of English. The underlying philosophy of the course remains that language is best learned when it is used for meaningful conversations.
The goal of this course is to provide instructional support to enable beginner students to communicate in English regarding basic everyday subjects including: food and sports, future plans and health, activities in the past and personal history, childhood memories and making plans.
- Unit 9: Discuss food
- Unit 10: Discuss sports, skills, abilities, and talents
- Unit 11: Discuss future plans
- Unit 12: Discuss health
- Unit 13: Discuss places, things to buy there, and how to get there
- Unit 14: Discuss activities in the recent and distant past
- Unit 15: Discuss personal history and childhood memories
- Unit 16: Discuss making plans to do different activities with other people
- Student Learning Outcomes
- Unit 9A: Students can talk about foods they like, have, and need using some/any and count/non-nouns.
- Unit 9B: Students can discuss eating habits using adverbs of frequency.
- Unit 10A: Students can talk about sports they watch and play using simple present Wh-questions.
- Unit 10B: Students can discuss skills, abilities, and talents using can and can’t.
- Unit 11A: Students can talk about evening, weekend, and birthday plans using statements and yes/no questions with be going to.
- Unit 11B: Students can discuss how they plan to celebrate holidays, special occasions, and festivals using Wh-questions with be going to.
- Unit 12A: Students can talk about the body and common ailments using have + noun and feel + adjective.
- Unit 12B: Students can discuss common medications and give health advice using imperatives.
- Unit 13A: Students can talk about stores and their locations using prepositions of place.
- Unit 13B: Students can ask for and give directions to different tourist attractions.
- Unit 14A: Students can talk about their weekend activities using simple past statements with regular and irregular verbs.
- Unit 14B: Students can discuss their vacations activities using simple past yes/no questions and short answers.
- Unit 15A: Students can talk about celebrity, family, and personal history using the past of be.
- Unit 15B: Students can discuss school experiences and memories using Wh-questions with did, were, and were.
- Unit 16A: Students can make phone calls and leave messages using subject and object pronouns.
- Unit 16B: Student can make, accept, and decline invitations using: Do you want to …? Would you like to..? and verb + to.
LEVEL 2: Conversation
This course is a standards-based program for beginning students of English. The work of picture art pages, teaches life-skills vocabulary in a clear and visual way. The course is meant to establish a solid foundation in the basics of English.
The goal of this course is to provide instructional support to enable beginner students to communicate in English regarding basic everyday subjects including: food, the weather, the neighborhood and community, health, employment and transportation.
- Unit 7.1: Discuss buying groceries
- Unit 7.2: Discuss food items needed
- Unit 7.3: Discuss using containers for food
- Unit 7.4: Discuss eating a meal
- Unit 7.5: Discuss using supermarket coupons
- Unit 7.6: Discuss a potluck dinner
- Unit 8.1: Discuss different types of weather
- Unit 8.2: Discuss seasons of the year
- Unit 8.3: Discuss temperature
- Unit 8.4: Discuss a weather map
- Unit 9.1: Discuss places in the community
- Unit 9.2: Discuss using a neighborhood map
- Unit 9.3: Discuss doing business at a bank
- Unit 9.4: Discuss using an ATM
- Unit 10.1: Discuss health issues
- Unit 10.2: Discuss where it hurts
- Unit 10.3: Discuss taking medication
- Unit 10.4: Discuss and recognize healthy habits
- Unit 10.5: Discuss filling out insurance forms
- Unit 11.1: Discuss jobs
- Unit 11.2: Discuss the workplace environment
- Unit 11.3: Discuss getting a paycheck
- Unit 11.4: Discuss the job application
- Unit 11.5: Discuss job skills
- Unit 12.1: Discuss modes of transportation
- Unit 12.2: Discuss directions in the community
- Unit 12.3: Discuss getting a learners permit
- Unit 12.4: Discuss road signs
- Unit 12.5: Discuss a bus schedule
Student Learning Outcomes
- Unit 7.1: Students will be able to categorize and ask for food in a supermarket.
- Unit 7.2: Students will be able to talk about and ask for food they need.
- Unit 7.3: Students will be able to identify and use words for food containers.
- Unit 7.4: Students will be able to discuss and order different meals.
- Unit 7.5: Students will be able to read and use supermarket coupons.
- Unit 8.1: Students will be able to discuss and identify different types of weather.
- Unit 8.2: Students will be able to discuss the seasons.
- Unit 8.3: Students will be able to discuss and write about the temperature.
- Unit 8.4: Students will be able to read a weather map.
- Unit 9.1: Students will be able to discuss places in the community/neighborhood.
- Unit 9.2: Students will be able to ask where people and places are.
- Unit 9.3: Students will be able to conduct business at a bank.
- Unit 9.4: Students will be able to use an ATM.
- Unit 10.1: Students will be able to discuss and identify health problems.
- Unit 10.2: Students will be able to identify body parts.
- Unit 10.3: Students will be able to understand the directions for taking medicine.
- Unit 10.4: Students will be able to recognize habits to be healthy.
- Unit 10.5: Students will be able to discuss and fill out insurance forms.
- Unit 11.1: Students will be able to discuss what they do for a living.
- Unit 11.2: Students will be able to discuss workplace environments.
- Unit 11.3: Students will be able to read and understand a paycheck.
- Unit 11.4: Students will be able to read and fill out a job application.
- Unit 11.5: Students will be able to discuss and understand job skills.
- Unit 12.1: Students will be able to discuss methods of transportation.
- Unit 12.2: Students will be able to ask and give directions in the community.
- Unit 12.3: Students will be able to apply for a learners permit.
- Unit 12.4: Students will be able to understand safety signs.
- Unit 12.5: Students will be able to read transportation schedules.